By: Zachary Lopez (ZachNews):
Sources: Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles City Fire Department (Information):
Los Angeles, California: The Los Angeles Police Department has provided more information regarding an explosion that left several people injured and a bomb squad tractor trailer truck destroyed on Wednesday, June 30th, 2021 following an illegal fireworks seized.
During a news conference early Thursday morning, Los Angeles Police Department Lieutenant Raul Jovel said, “This was completely unexpected. They followed all the protocols in place. It was not really one of these explosions that was unplanned. This was planned.”
Los Angeles Police Department Lieutenant Raul Jovel added, “We actually detonated the unexposed improvised devices in the total containment vehicle at approximately 7:37 p.m. PT.”
According to the Los Angeles City Fire Department, 6 civilians were taken to a hospital, three with serious and three with minor injuries, and the 9 officers from the Los Angeles Police Department and an agent from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives had minor injuries and were taken to the hospital in fair condition.
The the Los Angeles City Fire Department said that a tenth officer from the Los Angeles Police Department was hurt, but was not hospitalized.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Los Angeles Police Department seized at least 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks from a home.
At a news conference Wednesday night, Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore said work was being done throughout the day to move illegal commercial-grade fireworks to an offsite location.
During the operation, 40 coke-can-sized improvised explosive devices with fuses and 200 additional smaller devices with similar construction were found.
The material was transferred to a “total containment vehicle” with an iron chamber, which is designed to house explosive material that can be safely detonated.