By: Zachary Lopez (ZachNews):
Needles, California: In the upcoming election in November 2020, voters locally will be making their decision on who will be representing the people as mayor and city council members for the City of Needles.
ZachNews sent out questions to the candidates on what the community would like the candidates to answer before they make their voting decision on Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020.
The following is questions and answers from Needles City Council Candidate Louise Evans:
(Responses and Answers by Candidate in “Quotation Marks”)
*** Candidate’s Background: ***
- Your full name?
- Where are you from?
- Your occupation?
- Background about yourself:
- Why are you running for Needles City Council?
*** The Topics and Questions: ***
- What do you think of the California Governor’s “Stay-At-Home” order on our community?
- How would you reach out to the businesses and citizens of our community affected by the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What would you do in the event of another COVID-19 pandemic shut down?
– Law Enforcement and Protests:
- What is your response to the protests and calls for defunding law enforcement?
- How would you handle a situation in our community regarding law enforcement and mistreatment that addresses any injustice and mistreatment while keeping the peace and respect in the community; especially between citizens and law enforcement?
– Local Infrastructures, and Water, Wastewater and Electric Rates:
- How would you help get our crumbling infrastructures in our community get fix and replace?
- Do you think raising utilities to pay for those infrastructures a good idea, especially at this moment as residents and businesses are going through problems related to the COVID-19 pandemic?
– Community Growth:
- How would you help attract new retails and businesses to invest, build and create new jobs in our community, such as new grocery store and laundromat?
- Should the City of Needles offer incentives for these new retails and businesses to come invest, build and create new jobs in our community?
- Should the City of Needles have some kind of a co-op grocery store if no new grocery store is interested in coming to our community?
– Marijuana Industries, Businesses and Events?
- What do you think about the marijuana industries and businesses in the community, and their affect on our community (Good or Bad)?
- Would you support more marijuana industries and businesses to our community, including lounges, cafes and drive-thrus?
- Would you support allowing of marijuana related events to our community sound to attract more tourists?
“The Marijuana industry is not my favorite topic. As most know, I have been against it. I have since learned more about the medicinal benefits and feel with proper use, could help with the control of abused over consumption prescribed opiates. With this in mind, I am still not in favor of saturating the City with their exposure. It has always been my desire that the industry had been better planned and placed in out of sight locations.”
– Housing and Homelessness:
- What will you do to bring in more needed housing to our community, especially more housing both market-rate and affordable, both houses and apartments?
- What do you think about tiny houses and shipping container housing as an alternative to affordable housing in our community?
- Should the City of Needles offer incentives for these new housing and apartments of various sizes and rates, including affordable, to our community?
- How can the City of Needles help in addressing homelessness in our community?
– Gateway to California, Tourism and History:
- How would you help to bring in more tourism into our community?
- What would you help local attractions, hotels and businesses in our community that relay on tourists, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How would you work to preserve the community’s history for future generations can visit, learn and bring them back to visit or live in our community?
– Open Local Government, Public Relations and Community Involvement:
- What would you do to make local government more open, honest and transparent to the people of our community?
- What would you do to help get more people from our community more involved in their local government, especially participating in city council meetings during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How would you to help better communications between citizens, media and local government so that important information is getting out to the people in our community?
Thank you Louise Evans for answering our questions from the community.
Good luck to all of the candidates and do not forget to vote in the City of Needles Election 2020.