San Bernardino County, CA: Summary from Enhanced Patrol and Dry Water Operations along Colorado River area during Independence Day Weekend 2019.
According to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Colorado River Station, deputies with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Colorado River Station Marine Enforcement Unit conducted it’s 2019 4th of July Marine Enforcement Operation starting on Thursday, July 4th, 2019 through Sunday, July 7th, 2019.
The operation was conducted along the Colorado River in San Bernardino County, California; from the California/Nevada state line to the Riverside County line as well as Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead.
Most of the operation was focused on the waterways with resorts, launch ramps and marinas along the river and lakes.
A total of eleven patrol vessels, an OHV team, the Sheriff’s Dive Team, and two Sheriff’s Department helicopters were deployed throughout the area.
The operation coincided with “Operation Dry Water” which is a national campaign to reduce the number of alcohol and drug-related accidents and fatalities through increased enforcement to reduce alcohol use on the water.
The Marine Enforcement unit conducted a total of one hundred seventy-seven enforcement stops throughout the holiday weekend.
There was a total of 12 arrests made, eleven of which were for Boating Under the Influence and one for public intoxication.
The following are the names released publicly by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Colorado River Station of the individuals who were arrested during the operation:
– Arturo Rubio-Perez, 45 years of age from Las Vegas, Nevada
– Joshua Marraquin, 33 years of age from Oceanside, California
– Weston Stewart, 32 years of age from La Verne, California
– Curtis Devine, 40 years of age from Laguna Beach, California
– Gustavo Rosas, 28 years of age from Los Alamitos, California
– Shelby Smith, 28 years of age from Lancaster, California
– Jason Bangma, 42 years of age from Huntington Beach, California
– Trevor Lien, 28 years of age from Aguanga, California
– Bryan Viramontes, 41 years of age from Whittier, California
– Kyle Yenulonis, 26 years of age from Grand Terrace, California
– Adam Stiechen, 30 years of age from Anaheim, California
– Alec Taylor, 25 years of age from West Covina, California
According to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Colorado River Station, approximately 70 citations were issued for various boating law violations along with numerous verbal warnings.
The Colorado River Station’s Marine Enforcement Unit investigated two non-injury boating collisions and assisted the Mohave County Sheriff’s Department with recovering a drowning victim on the Colorado River.
The Colorado River Station Marine Enforcement Unit urges all California residents to go online to: http://californiaboatercard.com and take the online test to obtain their boater card which is now required by law.
The Colorado River Station Marine Enforcement Unit is, as always, dedicated to providing a safe boating atmosphere for the public and reminds everyone to wear their life vests and to boat sober.
** Press Release: **
** Picture Above from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Colorado River Station: **