Needles, CA: A dog escapes death from a garage fire.

image

Needles, CA: A dog escapes death from a garage fire.

A dog escapes death after a garage fire occurred before 6:50pm PT on Friday, April 15th, 2016 on the 300 block of C Street near Acoma Street in Needles California.

** Video from ZachNews on YouTube: **

ZachNews Photojournalist Zachary A. Lopez spoke to Shawnie Burks about what happened that evening and how her dog, an American white shepherd, name Dodger Ray escaped the garage fire.

Shawnie Burks tells ZachNews that she was inside the garage and improperly extinguished her lit cigarette.

About 20 to 30 minutes later, somebody came to my house telling her that their garage was on fire and she ran out realizing that her dog Dodger was inside the garage. She want inside the garage to get her dog, but she couldn’t breath from the smoke.
San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, San Bernardino County Fire Department, and Mohave Valley Fire Department rushed to the garage fire.

Firefighter begin to go into ‘Attack Mode’ on the garage fire as law enforcement kept people away from the garage fire.

Shawnie Burks tells ZachNews that she was so worried about her dog Dodger and tried to go back into the garage to get her dog Dodger, but a deputy stopped her from going into the garage on fire.

As firefighters open the garage door, her dog Dodger was seen crawling from underneath a vehicle and walked out.

Shawnie Burks thought that she lost her dog that she grow up with, and when she saw Dodger was safe and a live, she was so happy.

The garage fire was put out quickly and was kept away from other nearby residential structures.

There was 2 vehicles inside the garage and the fire didn’t damage the first vehicle, but the trunk of the second vehicle was cut in half.

Despite to some damage to 2 vehicles and damage to personnel property, including a washer and dryer, jewelry, clothes, movies, and a new baby crib, nobody was injured or died in the garage fire thanks to 2 kids and a teenager who put what they learned from school and from local firefighters about what to do in case they see a fire.

** Video from ZachNews on YouTube: **

ZachNews Photojournalist Zachary A. Lopez spoke to 6 year old Charile Caudillo, 5 year old Skyler Munoz, 18 year old Jake Call, and Mamie Carver about what happened that evening and what they did when they saw smoke coming from right next door.

Mamie Carver tells ZachNews that Charile Caudillo and Skyler Munoz saw smoke coming from the garage and came in to tell us there’s a smoke coming from next door.

Jake Call ran next door to the home and told the next door residents that there garage was on fire.

Mamie Carver tells ZachNews that she credits Vista Colorado Elementary School and the firefighters at San Bernardino County Fire Department Station 31 for teaching their kids as well as other youth in our community on what to do in case there’s a fire and to call 911 for emergencies.

Mamie Carver also tells ZachNews that people should always have a plan and make sure that you’re family is prepared when there’s a fire or an emergency.

Shawnie Burks tells ZachNews that she is very sorry for improperly extinguished her lit cigarette and warns other smokers to always make sure to properly extinguish your lit cigarettes.

A hard lessons learned that could have ended badly if wasn’t for lessons taught to youth in the community that saved lives.

%d bloggers like this: