Phelan, CA: 5 year old boy who saved grandmother from fire gets a toy shopping spree.

CUb7BesUsAAHNK2

Phelan, CA: 5 year old boy who saved grandmother from fire gets a toy shopping spree.

A 5 year old boy who saved his grandmother from their burning home earlier in November 2015 was rewarded with a toy shopping spree for his heroic act.

According to the San Bernardino County Fire Department, just before 1:00am PT on Saturday, 5 year old Nathaniel Stocks was awaken by fire burning in his room.

Nathaniel Stocks crawled beneath the smoke and up the hallway to alert his grandmother of the fire.

Firefighters from the San Bernardino County Fire Department responded to the fire in the 3900 block of Sacramento Road in Phelan, California.

Firefighters were met by Nathaniel Stocks and his grandmother who said everyone was out of the home, except for the family dog, a Chihuahua, which firefighters did rescued the family dog after locating the family dog hiding in the bathroom.

Just 2 days before the fire, Nathaniel Stocks was among a group of 100 kindergartners from Phelan Elementary School who visited San Bernardino County Fire Department’s Fire Station 10 in Phelan, California where all of the students were given a tour of the fire station and were taught lessons on fire safety, including stop, drop, and roll as well as crawl underneath the smoke.

Because of the lessons learned that day that helped saved lives, Nathaniel Stocks was hailed as a hero.

CUb7B1VUAAE9VAp

On Sunday, November 22nd, 2015, 5 year old Nathaniel Stocks was awarded a toy shopping spree at Target sponsored by the San Bernardino County Professional Firefighters Local 935 Union.

Firefighters purchased a gift card and Nathaniel Stocks was able to pick out several toys.

Most of Nathaniel Stocks’ toys were destroyed in that fire.

The San Bernardino County Professional Firefighters Local 935 Union was reportedly in contact with Nathaniel Stocks’ grandmother to set up the shopping trip.

Nathaniel Stocks’ grandmother was reportedly so appreciative of the firefighters’ kindness.

The San Bernardino County Professional Firefighters Local 935 Union sponsored the toy shopping spree at Target and no taxpayer money was used.

As for the fire, according to the San Bernardino County Fire Department, the preliminary investigation determined the origin of the fire to be a space heater placed too close to combustible materials.

The San Bernardino County Fire Department knocked down that fire in approximately 15 minutes and there was no reports of anybody injured in that fire.

It goes to show that fire safety and preparedness works and saves lives.

For more fire safety tips and fire preparedness information, come on by your local San Bernardino County Fire Department Fire Station.

** More fire safety tips and fire preparedness information can be found at the following San Bernardino County Fire Department website address: **

http://sbcfire.org/fire_marshal/safety.aspx

** Pictures from the San Bernardino County Professional Firefighters Local 935 Union. **

%d bloggers like this: