Helendale, CA: Smoke detector wakes family in Helendale, California structure fire.


Helendale, CA: Smoke detector wakes family in Helendale, California structure fire.

At around 11:08pm PT on Saturday, March 1st, 2014, the San Bernardino County Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire on the 27300 block of Peninsula Lane in Helendale, California.

The first arriving engine company found all occupants out of the building with heavy smoke coming from the roof of a two story, 4000 square foot home.

The occupants of the home were asleep at the time, and were alerted to the fire by the home’s smoke detectors.

Firefighters entered the structure, and found light smoke in the residence, with heavy smoke in the attic.

A ventilation hole was placed in the roof to remove the heavy smoke conditions in the attic space.

This tactic is used to reduce the heat and smoke in a building in order to aid in locating the fire, remove toxic smoke from areas where trapped victims may be located, and reduce the damage to the home and its belongings caused by heat and smoke.

Firefighters searched the residence for victims and were able to find and rescue two rabbits from the home.

Despite being hampered by multiple void spaces between the first and second floor, it took seventeen firefighters just under one hour to control the fire.

Through an aggressive offensive fire attack, along with vertical ventilation, firefighters were able to confine the fire to the area surrounding the zero clearance fireplace, and a portion of the attic near the chimney.

The origin of the fire was determined to be the exterior zero clearance fireplace.

The residence sustained moderate damage, with damage estimates at $50,000.

Firefighters were successful in saving an estimated $450,000 between the unaffected portion of the building, as well as the family’s personal belongings.

Firefighters from Helendale, California; Adelanto, California; Hinkley, California; and Victorville, California responded to this incident.

No civilians or firefighters were injured during the incident.

The San Bernardino County Fire Department would like to remind everyone that with the upcoming time change, it is recommended that individuals change the batteries in their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. “Change Your Clock, Change Your Battery.”

** Picture from the San Bernardino County Fire Department on Twitter. **

%d bloggers like this: