Needles, CA: A meeting was held last Thursday to discuss health care services for a Community Health Needs Assessment.
A meeting was held on Thursday, January 16th, 2014 to discuss health care services for a Community Health Needs Assessment and to get input from the community on what kind of health care services they and their community would like to see here in the greater Needles, California community.
The group of 20 to 30 people from the community which included Doctor Edward T. Paget, M.D. (Also known as the Mayor of Needles, California), Former City of Needles Mayor Jeffrey T. Williams, and Colorado River Medical Center’s Chief Executive Officer (C.E.O.) Steve Lopez were all here at this meeting which was held inside the B Wing Conference Room at Colorado River Medical Center in Needles, California.
As part of the meeting, those in attendee were asked to write down what are the 3 most critical health needs in the greater Needles, California community? and what actions or implementation needed to meet this community health needs?
Those in attendee also got to comment on some of the items taken from previous Community Health Needs Assessment discussions and even some sharing their own stories of what is needed in the community that is lacking or not being serve more.
M.J. Philps and Associates, L.L.C. President Michael J. Philps and Kathleen Philps conducted the meeting as well as to discuss, answer, and collect input from those in the community on what are the critical health needs of the community and what those in the community want to see done to bring those services here into their community.
** Some of the items discussed at this meeting included the following: **
– A lack of primary care doctors for the community and the need for more services.
– A lack of dental care services and the need for more services.
– A lack of pediatricians and the need for more services.
– A need for more counseling and services helping young people and their families and the need for more services including more youth counseling and services to help parents with their preteens and teenagers.
– A need for more counseling and services for survivors of abuse and domestic violence and the need for more services.
– A lack of counseling for various subgroups and the need for more services.
– A lack of obstetrics and gynaecology specialties as well as intensive care and maternity units and the need for more services. Doctor Edward T. Paget, M.D. brought up the lack of an open intensive care and a maternity units at the Colorado River Medical Center. Also mentions was to see more babies be baby delivered in the community rather then having to give birth across in another state.
– A lack of health care services for our United States veterans and the need for more services.
– A lack of psychiatric services and mental health care services and want to see more mental health be available to all community people as well as more doctors, psychiatrist, and counseling who are trained in mental health.
– A lack of transportation services to and from medical services and facilities outside of the community and the need for more services. If there isn’t a service that somebody in the community needs related to health care, they would have to go else where to receive those services and some do not have transportation to get to those services that may be in another part of the county or in another state.
– Making sure that many of these services accept a person insurance or benefits such as Medicare and MediCal. Some place do not accept some kinds of insurance or benefits and those who aren’t able to receive those service will have to go either another community in another part of the county, go outside of the state, or even travel across the border to get those needed service.
– The need for more education to the new technology and internet services related to health care services such telecare services.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Affordable Care Act created an opportunity for hospital organizations, numerous governmental public health agencies, and other stakeholders to accelerate community health improvement by conducting triennial Community Health Needs Assessments (C.H.N.A.) and adopting related implementation strategies that address priority health needs. Under the Affordable Care Act, hospital organizations satisfy their annual community benefit obligations by meeting those new requirements which are described in section 501(r)(3). In addition, hospital organizations have new requirements for reporting and for paying taxes.
According to M.J. Philps and Associates, L.L.C. President Michael J. Philps, all the information that is collected at this meeting and from previous interviews will be taken in and to put it all together as part of the Community Health Needs Assessment which the report from the Community Health Needs Assessment will take several weeks and will be made public, including any suggestions and additions as well as the plans to address the needs.
ZachNews has emailed a request to receive a copy of that report and will have the report posted as soon as ZachNews receives the report.
** Stay tuned to ZachNews for more news updates with more information regarding this news story. **
During the meeting, a representative for First 5 San Bernardino passed out Assessing the Needs and Assets of San Bernardino County Families packet for the Needles, California area dated December 2013 as well as to discuss about their organization, what their interest is in Needles, California, and what First 5 San Bernardino offer including parenting classes and counseling.
Many in the community hope that this meeting will help in bring these needed services to the people in this great community.
** You can watch the videos from the health care meeting at the following ZachNews on YouTube website addresses: **
– Needles, CA: Community Health Needs Assessment Meeting.
– Needles, CA: Community Health Needs Assessment Meeting. Part 2.
– Needles, CA: Community Health Needs Assessment Meeting. Part 3.
– Needles, CA: Community Health Needs Assessment Meeting. Part 4.
– Needles, CA: Community Health Needs Assessment Meeting. Part 5.
** You can read the Assessing the Needs and Assets of San Bernardino County Families packet from First 5 San Bernardino at the following website address: **
**** Community Comments: ****
Some questions where asked to the group in attendee at this meeting and ZachNews wants to know form you in the community the following:
– What are the 3 most critical health needs in the greater Needles, California community?
– What actions or implementation needed to meet this community health needs?
**** Please write in your comments in the comment section on this news story. ****
** Thank You For Your Comments and For Participating. **