News Update!!: Lake Elsinore, CA: Brush fire burning in the Cleveland National Forest near Lake Elsinore, California.
** Updated at 6:00pm PT on Tuesday, August 6th, 2013: **
A brush fire burning in the Morrell Canyon area of the Cleveland National Forest near Lake Elsinore, California.
** Brush Fire Burned and containment Information: **
– The brush fire has burned around 1,416 acres, down form 1,500 acres earlier Tuesday morning.
– The brush fire is at 20 percent contained.
** Brush Fire Location: **
– The brush fire named, “Falls Fire” was reported around 10:00am PT on Monday in the Morrell Canyon area and was burning about 5 miles west of Lake Elsinore, California just off the Highway 74.
– The brush fire on Monday was moving east into Decker Canyon.
** Brush Fire Behavior: **
– Fire is displaying aggressive behavior with potential for spotting.
** Brush Fire Significant Events: **
– The brush fire has established itself in the San Mateo Wilderness, but is holding at the ridge lines.
– Firefighters are dealing with dense brush and steep rugged terrain.
** Planned Actions to Battling the Brush Fire: **
– Structure protection, construct fire line using hand line and hose lines. Improve Decker Canyon Road.
** Brush Fire Damages: **
At this moment, a outbuilding was burned in this brush fire, but there has been no other reports of damage to buildings or homes.
** Brush Fire Injuries: **
– 2 firefighters suffered heat exhaustion and a resident was treated for some medical issues.
** Emergency Evacuations: **
– Evacuations are still in progress for Decker Canyon residents.
** Emergency Evacuation Centers: **
– An evacuation center was set up at Lakeside High School located at 32593 Riverside Drive in Lake Elsinore, California.
** Personal and Equipment Battling the Brush Fire: **
– There is around 1,000 total personnel including 55 fire department trucks, 16 hand crews, 5 fixed wing aircraft, 5 helicopters, 2 bulldozers, and a DC-10 air-tanker are there battling the brush fire.
** Cause of the Brush Fire: **
– The cause of the brush fire was not immediately determined and is under investigation.
**** Weather Alert!!: Weather Conditions In The Brush Fire Area: ****
– Tuesday: Sunny, High 85*F. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
– Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, Low 61*F. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north in the evening.
– Wednesday: Sunny, High 83*F. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
– Wednesday Night: Patchy fog after 11:00pm PT. Otherwise, mostly clear, Low 61*F. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north in the evening.
** More weather condition information for this area at the following National Weather Service website address: **
** Weather radar information for this area at the following National Weather Service website address: **
**** Traffic Alert!!: Roads, Highways, and Interstates Closures In The Brush Fire Area: ****
– The Highway 74 remained closed to all traffic from Grand Avenue in Lake Elsinore, California side and San Antonio Parkway in Orange County, California.
– Other closures include Grand Avenue in Lake Elsinore, California; Antonio Parkway in Orange County, California; and a portion of South Main Divide Road in Orange County, California.
** Stay tuned to ZachNews for news updates with more information regarding this news story. **